Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lizzy's Party

Lizzy had told me a while ago that she wanted a Fairy Tale party for her birthday. I liked this idea because it wasn't necessarily a "princess" party. And while I knew that princesses would probably be a big part of the day, I tried to branch out a little from the Disney Princess theme. First, I had Lizzy illustrate a story/invitation that I had written about a princess whose most precious treasure was taken by a dragon. She called on all of the other princesses from neighboring kingdoms to help her in her quest to reclaim her treasure.
On Saturday the girls arrived dressed in their finest princess apparel. Well, most of them were dressed up. We had a couple of casual princesses in the mix. :) I had them color princess and castle pictures while we waited for everybody to arrive.I gave each girl a treasure box (plastic diaper boxes spray painted gold) to decorate with foam princess-y stickers. These would be used to collect treasure along their quest to find the dragon. For finishing the treasure boxes the girls were rewarded with small star-shaped wands.Then we played "pin the kiss on the frog" and were rewarded with rings to put in the treasure boxes.
I gave each child a golden crown and a bag of stick-on jewels with which to decorate. For completing their crowns the girls were rewarded with necklaces.Then it was off to the kitchen to build castles out of sugar cubes and icing. (Aren't they cute in their crowns?) After building castles and receiving bracelets it was time for a fashion show.Some girls posed quietly...Others twirled.
We had some enthusiastic twirlers.
Then we were off to slay the dragon! He was a tough one... at one point Clint had to take him into the shed and perform some minor surgery on him to speed things along.
And here is my lone prince looking on. What a good sport he was. And mighty handsome.
Once the dragon was, er, disposed of we opened the treasure chest to find fancy plastic champagne glasses, juice, lots of sprinkles, icing, and pink cupcakes! Excited squealing ensued. The girls decorated their own cupcakes, sang happy birthday, and drank out of their fancy glasses.It was great fun and I couldn't wish for a sweeter girl to throw a party for. Happy 5th birthday, Liz!

Here's the after party.(Lydia slept through the first half of the party. Yay!)

1 comment:

Marisa said...

How cute!! What a fun idea.