Friday, August 20, 2010

More Indoor Activities

I am really looking forward to October. I'm getting really tired of hot and humid. That being said, I wanted to post some of the indoor activities my kids and I have been doing lately to keep occupied and air conditioned.

Activity 1: Tube Ball

For this game I took the tubes from 2 rolls of wrapping paper and taped them to the sides of our couch. Then I found some small wooden balls and had the kids roll them down the tubes and let them drop into boxes at the end. We took a short break to paint the balls different colors to which ended up being another fun little project.Then after a while I moved the tubes next to each other and the kids spent a long time having contests to see whose ball would roll the farthest.
Activity 2: What's Missing?

This game was geared more toward Lizzy. I gathered up several small items from around the house and put them in a box. Then I would take out 5 items and lay they them out on the table in front of Lizzy. I'd give her a few seconds to look at the items and then she had to close her eyes while I took one away. When she opened up her eyes she had to figure out what was missing.
Activity 3: Marshmallow Construction

I pulled out mini marshmallows and toothpicks to let the kids build things. This activity didn't go quite as I had planned it though... All Lizzy wanted to make were "lollipops" and Jacob decided to forgo the toothpicks altogether and just eat the marshmallows. I, however, made a horse and a house.

Activity 4: Smell and Match

For this game I had the kids help me to glue different herbs and spices onto cards. (I happened to have some craft paper that had holes in it so I cut it into index card-sized shapes.) We made sure to make 2 cards of each kind of scent. I think we used garlic powder, lemon zest, oregano, cloves, curry, and cinnamon. When the cards dried I turned half of them over and let Lizzy have the other halves. She picked out a card in front of her to smell it and then had to pick another turned over card to try to find the matching smell (without looking at it.)

Activity 5: Musical Animals

The kids and I picked out some stuffed animals and arranged them into a circle on the floor. Then I turned on some music and let the kids walk/run around the outside of the circle until I paused the song (musical chairs style). When they stopped they had to look at the animal they landed in front of and then act it out.

5 comments:

aidanjordan said...

You are so fun! We will definitely be playing musical animals very soon!

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

you are too much!!

I know all about the heat and today is open house at 4pm. weather going to be 98 degrees and I'll be walking there and back, pushing a double stroller.

I guess that's one quick way for the teacher to remember you - the sweaty mom! haha.

Becky T said...

FUN! I'm going to have to do some of these because I'm afraid my kids are bored stiff lately and I am too boring to come up with anything fun! You are so great!

America said...

Super mom strikes again!

Marisa said...

These are great ideas! I've been needing some more ideas of things to do in this hot weather.