Monday, May 3, 2010

Fun New Games

Today I made some word games for Lizzy. I've been working on the sounds that the letters in the alphabet make and I thought we'd start stringing them together to make words. It's still rough, but making it a game seems to help a lot. The first game I made is a matching game. I wrote the names of different colors on the backs of penguin shapes and then I had actual color samples on the backs of ice berg shapes. Lizzy draws a penguin and we figure out what the word says and then she has to find the matching color. I'm hoping that eventually she'll just recognize the words and then she can play it as Memory but right now she's really enjoying this one just the way it is.The other "game" I made is Fishing for Words. I typed up a few simple words and put them on the back of some fish-y cards. Then I hot glued some magnets on the front of the fish. I have a couple of magnetic fishing poles that came with some puzzles so we just use those and voila! Fun reading game! We take turns fishing and then reading a word. Today we sounded out the words together. My goal is to be able to play the game so that you get to keep the fish if you read it correctly but if you can't read it correctly you have to throw it (or maybe all of your fish) back in the pool.

3 comments:

Aimee Roberts said...

love the fishy game idea... just might have to steal it!

America said...

Smartie pants- and her hair is SO long!

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

girlfriend, you are amazing!!! lucia and I have been counting a lot, does that count?! ;)

miss you. and your lil kiddos! this week has been non-stop and I don't think it'll stop til july. :(