Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Day I Sewed a Castle

 The other day I decided to sew a little castle slip cover to fit over our card table for the kids to play in. I made a little cottage slip cover a couple of weeks ago (which I'll have to post later) and thought it would be cute to have another. But THEN I thought, "You know what would be cooler than a castle for a card table?? A castle for their bunk beds!" A perfectly logical thought process. So I packed the three kids in the car and drove to the fabric store where felt was on sale for $2.99 a yard (it was meant to be) and hightailed it home where I spent the rest of the day sewing. I am the first to admit that I am a total amateur on a sewing machine but I was not going for professional quality here. I was going for a fun playhouse that my kids would *hopefully* not destroy within the first 5 minutes. This is what I ended up with:

 I decided halfway through to split the upper and lower levels so as to reduce the weight of the whole thing. I sewed a large piece of felt to the top part of the lower castle half and just tucked it under the top mattress. The top part is pinned up to the ceiling.
 There is a large door on the bottom and then a smaller door at the top of the ladder. At first I was just going to leave a gap in the fabric, but I figured Lizzy would probably like a door too.

 At the foot of the bed I sewed a dragon on the bottom. He's guarding a treasure chest full of toy cars right now.
And above the dragon I made a cut out window with a flower pot that Lizzy can put flowers in. She also likes to stow secret notes. It's one of the only places in the house she can successfully hide things from Lydia.
On the front by Jacob's bed I made a stone where he can put his sword. (Sword in the Stone-ish) He wanted to demonstrate pulling his sword out. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how King Arthur looked when he pulled his out too. Lydia seemed to think he was amazing.
 So there's the castle I made in a day. The kids seem to like it and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.





1 comment:

MBoye said...

wow - that's all I can say.