Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gainfully Employed

Let me start from the beginning. A few years ago a friend in my ward asked if I would teach music lessons to her daughter. At first I was hesitant but decided to try it out. Then I talked another friend into letting her daughter join my one student so that my class doubled in size. Soon their little sisters were also taking lessons from me. Then I decided to put together a Mommy and Me sort of music group for preschoolers and their moms. I've been doing this about a year and it's really fun. I had been teaching another brother and sister privately. And I'd taken on a piano student. Not to mention my calling as primary president and my own two kids to tend to 24/7. I thought my plate was pretty full.

Last month I stopped by John Calvin Preschool to look into signing Lizzy up for this coming year. While I was talking with the director she saw on Lizzy's form that I had another child.

"Would you be interested in signing Jacob up for the 2's class? He's the right age."

"No. I don't think so. Plus, I teach a little music class with other kids his age so it's not like he's never exposed to other children."
Pause

"You teach music?"

"Yeah. Just little classes out of my home."

"Would you be interested in teaching music here?"
This led to a series of conversations with the director, some praying on my part, some second guessing, and, finally the signing of a contract on Friday. Here's the deal: I will be teaching Thursday and Friday mornings from 9 to 12. Jacob will go to one of the 2's classes on Thursdays and then I have a dear friend who is willing to watch him on Friday mornings for me. Plus tuition was half price! Plus they're paying me! Plus I'll be able to do something that I'm actually trained to do!

I start in September.

I am really excited about this and Clint has been super supportive in my decision to go for this little part-time job. It's interesting how 1 decision can lead to so many changes. Melissa, if you're reading this, thanks for talking me into teaching Elle. :)

(these are some pictures of my cute little music group)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That just made me really jealous! You will be so so perfect. Now I need to figure out a way to move back so you can teach Sara. My girls just love you!

Congrats. That is really exciting!

MBoye said...

You look so happy! I know you'll enjoy it!

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

yay!! what a great fit... for the entire family!

Andrew and Candice Heaton said...

I'm really excited for you to do this! It's such a great thing to be able to use your talents and get paid for it at the same time. Can't wait to have you as Grant's music teacher and your little guy to keep Kate company next year.

Fernando Camilo said...

What a fun sexy time for you!! Congrats! Can told me you're coming here next month. Can't wait to see you. I'll be missing Clint though :(

Kristel said...

I'm so excited for you! You will love John calvin. The girls miss your music class.